As the name suggests, an anti-aging cream is a skin care product that is sold with a pledge to make your skin look younger by lessening the signs associated with aging. An anti-aging cream works by reducing the intensity of symptoms such as:
- Abnormal growth
- Poor Texture
The efficacy of one cream over the other primarily depends on the particular ingredients and the duration of use. Due to the fact that anti-aging creams are readily available over the counter, they are not categorized as drugs. A study carried out by Manchester University found that some of the ingredients used in anti-aging cream
The Ingredients of Anti-Aging Creams
As stated, the effectiveness of anti-aging cream is determined by its formulation. Below is a look at some of the most commonly used ingredients that may cause minor to modest enhancement in the appearance of the wrinkles.
- Retinol - Retinol is an antioxidant that is common in most anti-aging creams. It works by neutralizing the effects of free radicals which are unstable oxygen molecules associated with breaking down skin cells resulting in wrinkles.
- Vitamin C - Another powerful antioxidant, Vitamin C shields the skin from the harmful rays of the sun. It is recommended that you store anti-aging creams formulated with vitamin C away from the sun.
- Hydroxy Acids - These acids are categorized as exfoliants. They work by removing the upper layer of the old, dead skin resulting in the growth of smooth and clear skin.
- Tea Extracts - Some of the most common tea extracts used to make anti-aging creams include black, oolong, and green teas. Besides reducing wrinkles, green tea extracts promotes wound healing.
The Best Anti-Aging Creams by Skin Type
Different skin types require the use of different anti-aging creams that will help maintain the hormonal balance while giving the expected results.
- Oily Skin - Oily skin has a shiny appearance, large pores, fine lines, extra firmness, and is more susceptible to acne and pimples. For this type of skin, an anti-aging cream that allows regeneration of new skin cells is ideal. The cream should also contain ingredients that can help reduce the amount of sebum (skin oil). Lancome Renergie may contain Retinol and vitamin C.
- Dry Skin - Dry skin is associated with flaking, cracking, itchiness, roughness, and tightness. For this type of skin, an anti-aging cream that will add moisture and soothe the skin would be perfect. This means a cream containing tea or grape seed extract would be preferable.
- Normal Skin - The best anti-aging cream for normal skin should contain ingredients that help the skin rejuvenate itself to create younger looking skin. Anti-aging creams formulated using Hydroxyl Acids are excellent for